From an artist:
“Color! What a deep and mysterious language, the language of dreams.”
-Paul Gauguin (1848-1903)
From a philosopher:
“The full knowledge of this blue canteen cannot be fully known by casual observation.”
-Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz (1646–1716)
From a designer:
“The best colour in the whole world is the one that looks good on you.”
-Coco Chanel (1883-1971)
I agree with all three depending on my mood. But when it comes to fashion, we must give Coco her due. There is a complex relationship between the language of color and aspects of one’s personality. We might not know it but often our feelings are revealed by the color palette we choose to adorn ourselves with. The goal should always be to allow our personality to shine, and to reveal the real “you.” How “you-y” can you be today?
- Are you desiring to communicate elegant boldness with a hint of magic and mystery? Don a little black dress (LBD).
- Conveying a soft feminine side? Pastels such as blush pink or mint green say you’re comfortable with romanticism.
- White symbolizes purity and innocence but is also playful and dreamy on these steamy summer days and nights.
- Feeling high excitement and energy, maybe even risky? That calls for red in any hue.
- Here comes the weekend and there is no better time to get your outdoor groove on. Green is my personal favorite. It evokes associations with tropical trees and grassy rolling hills. It is the color of tranquility, freshness and peace.
The right color goes a long way in wordlessly allowing the voice of your mood to come out and play. Not only does it express your mood, but the mood of the culture as well. I’ll have more posts about fall color but if you’re in the mood to peek now, here is the go-to guide from Pantone for fall 2012, and some great mood boards for fall as well.
GO with love