A woman should be in love with the clothes she is wearing. Oscar de la Renta has lived by that ideal since birthing his label in 1965. He praises the woman that is wonderfully bold and a little cheeky.
“I remember a hundred years ago, I was at La Cote Basque and a lady walked in wearing a tunic pantsuit by Courreges. The maitre d’ told her that ladies in pants were not allowed. So she went outside, dropped her pants, and returned in a very short dress. Wonderful.”
Here are 10 things he believes every woman should have:
- A great romance. “There is nothing more wonderful than being madly in love.”
- Face-framing earrings. “It’s a great complement to the face to have something that moves.”
- A small bag. “Full of mystery.”
- Black lace. “It is extremely feminine.”
- A confident walk. “You have to walk like you have three men walking behind you.”
- A cause to support. “When you rest, you rust.”
- Red carnations. “A deep, deep red.”
- A signature scent. “If you wear a different perfume every day, I do not recognize you.”
- Very tall shoes. “They create such a flattering line.”
- A competitive streak. “Dominoes, bridge…I love to compete. And rules were made to be broken.”
GO with love.